Not Accepting New Patients
Our therapist Joel Blackstock believes that therapy must begin with a genuine appreciation for each patient’s unique story and individual values. He is an EMDR trained clinician who often utilizes parts-based therapies and existential approaches to help clients gain understanding and overcome problems in a supportive and non judgmental environment. After creating a safe space for each individual, he helps clients truly understand the ‘what’ and ‘why’ behind their thoughts and feelings. He specializes in helping clients harness their own creativity and strengths to overcome barriers to growth and healing. Being a patient centered therapist, Joel Blackstock believes in personalizing treatment for each patient and each problem. He has worked previously worked with geriatrics, young adults, and the chronically mentally ill.
Joel is an avid reader, home chef, and outdoors man. He spends most weekends hiking or at the zoo with his wife and daughter. In addition to working as a therapist he also works as a photographer and writer. Joel often writes blogs for different resources all over Alabama.
- EMDR trained clinician
- Masters Scholar Award from The University of Alabama
- Masters of Social Work from The University of Alabama
- Bachelor of Arts in Religious Studies from Sewanee: The University of the South
- Community Mental Health Center Treatment and Clinical Therapy
- Memory Care and Gerontology
- Severely Mentally Ill and Chronically Homeless Populations
- Work with Young Adults
- Public School Social Work
- American Behavioral
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield