We owe our freedom to the women and men who have served in our military. Unfortunately, serving on the front lines or state-side can have unwanted consequences, including difficulty readjusting to civilian life or even Posttraumatic Stress Disorder. Many veterans feel uncomfortable or find it difficult to get services from the VA. To make matters worse, there can be a waiting list for those who seek help from the VA.
At Birmingham Anxiety and Trauma Therapy, we seek to help with the shortage of services to veterans. We have had the privilege of working with veterans and their families, and have developed an understanding of the unique struggles associated with military service. We DO NOT take a “one size fits all” approach to treatment. Instead, we have a variety of options for treatment – and we don’t believe that treatment needs to be re-traumatizing!
Some of the many approaches we have used in the treatment of veterans include:
- Relaxation and Guided Imagery
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
- Cognitive Processing Therapy
- Breathing Techniques
- Self-Awareness and Grounding
- Feelings Identification
- Exposure Therapy (Note: this approach is NOT appropriate for all veterans)
- Stress Inoculation Therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing (EMDR)
- Referral sources for appropriate medication stabilization